I was lucky to have a pretty petite tummy and really never did get very big. After learning how far along I was, everyone would say "You're so little!" I took that as a compliment, thank you very much! I didn't mind that I was carrying her "well" and didn't look like I was smuggling a basketball under my shrinking shirts. I was even lucky enough to wear my regular jeans (with a hair tie holding the button closed, but hey it counts!!) up until 6 months along and then I wore my adorable spandex front maternity jeans. Well, all good things must come to an end because around 7 months my hands and feet were swollen into nice plump sausages. Who cares that I'm carrying small in my tummy when I can't wear my wedding ring and can't stuff my feet into tennis shoes?? I even outgrew some of my flip flops!! Really now?? One time when I was "treating" myself to a pedicure, I got up to put my flats back on and the nail technician asked if I needed assistance. I hurriedly try to stuff my foot back into MY own shoes and I guess this girl is not Cinderella because the slipper did NOT fit anymore!! I hurried out of the salon with my cheeks pinker than my toe nail polish. Yet another adorable pregnancy trait right there! It would not be abnormal to get notified on a daily basis that my feet "are really getting swollen." Why thank you! I didn't notice that when I have one pair of flip flops that I can manage to waddle around in. Let me give you a hint for the next time you see a pregnant woman
One thing I did love was eating! I was always hungry! I'm pretty sure the black hole took up temporary housing in my stomach because I could eat anytime and almost anything, except chili. That was the only thing that would trigger the previously mentioned gag reflex. Yuck! Other than that, if you put anything else in front of me, it could be gone in about 60 seconds. Give or take. I'm sure this contributed to my gaining 30 pounds at 8 months pregnant. Nah.. More things that I loved about pregnancy was feeling my little girl moving around. My favorite thing in the world actually. How can such a little *bump* have the biggest impact in my life? Lucky for me, I got to have a lot of my most favorite thing in the world. This girl was a professional dancer, gymnast, acrobat, or something! Brian affectionately called her our "kicky baby" (make sure to read "kicky baby" in the cutest little baby voice that you can). Loved it! Even if it was in the middle of the night and keeping me from sleeping. She also had hiccups on a daily basis. So cute! I felt bed for her but later read that hiccups for babies in utero aren't uncomfortable to them like they are for us. So, I just took joy in the reassurance that she's still doing okay.
I did suffer from pretty bad back pain to the point that I couldn't even walk or stand up sometimes. Luckily I got a tip from a friend to go to her chiropractor who specialized in pregnant women. Um, OK! I would try anything at that point. I ended up sticking with her and it was definitely worth it. The back pain didn't totally disappear (which she warned me that it wouldn't) but it was sooo much better; it was definitely a lot more manageable. Especially since I was still working and my work entailed taking care of children. I needed to be able to pick up the kiddos and be pretty active. Let me tell you my friends, there is a reason God makes pregnancies 9 months long. Pregnant women were not made to take care of infants. I could barely push myself up off the floor, much less do it while holding a baby, but I managed. But holding them was a different story. Imagine trying to hold a baby to feed them their bottle or rock them to sleep with another one that's already in your lap. We managed nonetheless. It may not have been pretty but I figured it out. Love to be with those kiddos. I definitely got my practice in!
For me, pregnancy had its ups and downs but the ups far outweighed the downs. I would and will do anything for my babies, and we're so blessed and thankful that Lillian was the first blessing, of what we hope to be, many.
Every time I saw you I thought you looked beautiful! I never noticed your hands or feet and I remember thinking how gorgeous you looked pregnant and thinking "I just know I will not look so adorable when I'm pregnant!" You were glowing! Lillian was so active too! I know she was trying to be like her daddy... A karate expert early on. Hiyah!
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you! You were always my favorite. Lol, no really that's really sweet. I don't care if I looked like I just got ran over though. I'll do anything for my babies :)
Delete