After we all exited the chapel, I noticed that two of my baby cousins with their dads outside the chapel room. They were both under the age of one and not too impressed with being quiet so their dads took them out of the room so they wouldn't disrupt. As we walked past, I leaned over and kissed each of them on their heads. I remember thinking how much I love children and that just because I lost my own child, it doesn't mean I want to be away from children. It makes me appreciate them even more. We kept walking to the main entry way of the funeral home and lined up to thank everyone for coming and being supportive. One by one, I hugged each neck and told them thank you for coming to honor our baby girl. The hugging thing gets a little tiring when you've got a huge incision in your abdomen that hasn't had a chance to heal yet. I was feeling pretty good until a very well placed purse pendulum swung right into my gut. It was perfect aim because I definitely felt that one! No worries though, no harm done. After everyone trickled through the line we headed back into the chapel so the grandfathers could carry Lillian's casket to the car. We wanted the grandpas to carry the casket but seeing as how it was only 2 ft long, I thought it would be goofy for them to hold it at the same time. So, one would carry the casket to the car and the other would carry the flowers and when we got to the grave site, they switched.
 |
| My dad carrying the casket |
 |
| Brian's dad carrying the flowers |
 |
At the grave site service
|
When we arrived at the cemetery, Brian and I took a seat and waited for Pastor D to start the grave site service. Pastor D spoke about how today was such a perfect and beautiful day. And, it really was beautiful. The weather was wonderful and it was as if God had helped to make Lillian's funeral perfect. Pastor also talked about the reason of why we bury our loved ones facing a certain way and what the bible says about when Christ returns. He said that the reason we face them towards the East (I think that's right) is because when Christ returns, all those who are raised from the dead will be facing Him in all His glory. After a little bit of scripture, Pastor D had Brian and I stand up with him and face everyone. Previously, I had thought of the idea of using some of our unity sand from our wedding to sprinkle in her grave site. He explained to our friends and family that we thought it was very symbolic having our unity sand which represented us spread into her grave site because she is a piece of us. She will always be a part of us and we will always keep her close in our hearts. We stepped forward to sprinkle our sand and then Pastor D asked us if it would be okay if we all sang a song. I choked up as we sang, "Jesus Loves Me"
 |
| Isn't my husband handsome in that suit? |
 |
| I love this picture |
The service concluded and we stood around to visit some before heading to my in-laws for a reception for family. I knew I probably wouldn't see our pastor after this and was visiting some with him before we left. He took me aside and was telling me how proud he was of us. He said, "
You and your husband are very special. You are such a strong woman and I can tell that you have such strong faith. I've been doing this for a long time and I've met a lot of people. On May 16, I will celebrate 20 years of ministry...."
Notice the "..." I don't remember what he said after that last sentence because I was stuck on May 16. I couldn't believe my ears, May 16 was my due date. I patiently waited for him to finish and started to tear up. I said, "I know that you were supposed to be with us because May 16 was my due date for Lillian. I know God meant for you to be with us and help us through this time. Thank you so much."
He just smiled at me and gave me a hug and said, "Bless you."
I will always hold a special place for Pastor D in my heart. He was such a huge part of getting through Lillian's funeral and I know God sent him to ease our pain. We said our goodbyes to Pastor D and then to Lillian and then headed to my in law's house to eat and recuperate after a long day. A long perfect day.
I love the unity sand being with her... <3
ReplyDeleteI don't know why I thought of that but it just came to me. I think it's really special and so happy we did it.
Delete