Those close to me will tell you that the only thing I've ever really wanted to be in life was a mother. I love children, especially little ones. I'm the oldest child of three girls and my younger sisters (lovingly) call me their "second mother." The only jobs I've ever worked in are in childcare. I recently finished my Early Childhood Degree from Butler. I used to think that I'd like to move up in the early childhood field to be a teacher and maybe later a director of a daycare center, but I kind of have the feeling that the purpose of me going to school to specialize in children is to help me with my own. I just want to stay home and raise my children as long as it's feasible for our family.
That being said, when we decided to start our family I thought, "I got this!" Funny how life goes because I did not know what I was in for. Pregnancy changes every aspect of your life. Well, for me it did anyways. My brain was always going a hundred miles a minute and trying to make the best choices for our little one. We found out almost immediately about being pregnant (5 weeks), so we had a loooong wait ahead of us. Doctors don't really even want to see you until about 10 weeks. That seemed like forever! I told Brian that I didn't want to tell anyone right away to make sure everything was going smoothly. I was terrified of a miscarriage. Prior to me getting pregnant, every one of my close friends that had been pregnant before me had had at least one miscarriage. I really didn't want to blab to everyone that I was expecting and then have to turn around and explain to the whole world about our loss (ugh! even though that was exactly what we had to do later).
Anyways, I finally caved to tell our parents and close family at around 7 weeks. Me being the planner, I had to do it right!! I found a cute little stork clip art that said "coming soon to a home near you." We picked out some cute frames to put it in and wrapped it up to go make some people very happy grandparents.
First we stopped at Dillons to grab some flowers and then I called my parents to see if they were home. Parents are supposed to be available at big moments like this, RIGHT?? Wrong! My mom said they were out doing something or another and that they'd be home later. NOOO!! I wanted this day to be perfect and already plans were changing. Thanks to my pregnant hormones, me wanting to make everything perfect, and my need for control, I may have had a little meltdown in the middle of Dillons. My ever supportive hubby talked me out of it telling me that, in fact, no the day hadn't been ruined. We'll just go to his parents first and tell them and then we can go to my parents. *SIGH* Why does he have to be so reasonable?? Okay, so off we went to deliver our first message. We handed Brian's mom the flowers and gift and watched anxiously as she opened it. She was in shock. She couldn't even speak she was so happy. If I remember correctly, I believe Brian's dad just gave him a nice "well done" pat on the back. Needless to say, they were thrilled!
On to the next set of grandparents. One sister was still living at home so the only task was to try to get my other one to come over for no reason in particular. I didn't want to give it away so I called to try to guilt her into coming to hang out. She didn't take the bait. She being the stubborn person that she is, she decided that she and her husband were just going to relax today and we'll hang out later. GAHH! She's a pain in my rear! So, on we went to my parents. I wanted to get everyone in the same place at the same time so it would be fair, when we pulled up I realized that it would have to be outside. My dad is always outside working on something. I sooo didn't want to make anyone expect anything so I was being as nonchalant as possible. I asked my mom to come out to help me carry stuff inside. I'm such a good liar :) So, she came outside and I handed her a bouquet of flowers and told her that they were for helping me so much with our garage sale the weekend prior. Lame, I know. Then I handed her the gift. My sister and her were looking at it and it was a delayed reaction. I could see the realization click when they finally got it. My mom screamed, "WHAAAT???" She was speechless but thrilled. My sister was jumping up and down and sooo excited. So, my dad came over to see what the fuss was about. My dad, the tough guy, got the silliest little boy grin on his face that he could not wipe off. Ha! We were all so happy. Of course, my other sister was missing and we needed to convince her to come over. My littlest sister, Kirsten, tried calling her. She asked her to come over and still got the same answer so she asked me if she could tell her. I said yes so she yelled "You're going to be an aunt!!!" Candace was in disbelief. I was like, "Tell her that I'm pregnant!!" I was afraid that Candace would think Kirsten was the one expecting, which wouldn't be as good of news since she's still in high school! Candace was so mad at herself and told me that I should have MADE her come over. Haha, I tried!! She made it to my parents in record time so we could all celebrate together. I later broke it to them that we wanted to keep it between family for a few weeks. That lasted all of one week before I got bugged to death so I let everyone announce it to the public. Of course this included close family, my work, and I made it facebook official by putting my profile picture as "Mommy to Be" Needless to say, happiness surrounded us everywhere and we were on cloud 9!
No comments:
Post a Comment