Friday, July 27, 2012

Keeping her memory alive

I've done a few things to help keep Lillian's memory alive and keep her close to our hearts. We have sonogram pictures and a few mementos on a table in our entryway.  That way every time I come home, I can be reminded of our baby girl (like I could ever forget) and it's nice to have our pictures up to greet us when we come home.  I planted a lily garden in the back yard so I could have something to take care of and even decorate.  I definitely do not have a green thumb but it's a special place that I can go and think of our baby girl.  One of my favorite things I've done in memory of Lillian is make a donation.
I'd been following a blog ever since January of a gal that's going through a trying time of her own.  She is a friend of one of my childhood friends and through the perks of Facebook, I saw her story.  To make a long (difficult) story short,  Destiny and her husband, Danny, had been through quite a trying time starting just after getting married three years ago.  A few days after their wedding, they learned that her husband had colon cancer.  After many prayers, lots of procedures, and going through treatment, her husband thankfully is now cancer free.  But, they are now facing a new problem, infertility.  Luckily, they planned ahead and are looking to do IVF but as you may already know, that is ridiculously expensive.  This couple had been through more than a lot of marriages ever will in just the first few months and now that he was cancer free, they were confronted with a whole new challenge.  So, being a very determined woman, Destiny decided that if they were wanting to start a family and the only thing holding them back is money, then she would solve that!  I can relate with this girl so much because she has so much love for baby(ies) that aren't here yet (and I do mean yet because I know they will be blessed with a little one soon!).  I know that love for future children whom we haven't met yet and I see the love she has already.  She is already a great mom!  She started brainstorming ways to raise money for the IVF treatments and it just kind of snowballed from there. That being said, I was moved to make a donation to their fund in honor of Lillian.  What better way is there to honor our baby?  I wanted our baby girl to help bring another baby into this world.
I remember one day specifically thinking how hard it was going to be for Brian and I to wait a whole year to be able to go through the process of even being pregnant again and then have to make it through 9 more months of stress and anxiety before we have a little one.  I felt a twinge of selfishness when God reminded me of those who aren't as lucky as we are.  We don't have any fertility problems and it would be overwhelming to think about the possibility of never being pregnant again.  I immediately thought of Destiny and Danny's story and felt like I could do something to help.  That's when I thought of the idea of donating in memory of Lillian.  I have to wait before we can add to our family but this was something I could do right now to help someone else's dream.  So, I wrote them a message and sent them a donation in memory of our sweet Lillian.  
She has had so many people step up to assist her with fundraisers and donations and she is almost reaching her goal of $10K!  This is just outstanding especially considering that she just started in January.  Can you believe that?? I think last time she updated, she was around $700 away from her goal.  It makes me so happy to be able to do something so great in Lillian's memory.  I pray that they will soon have a little miracle baby who is healthy and perfect.  If you want to read their story, check out her blog.    http://babyfund2012.blogspot.com/   

2 comments:

  1. Your post made me cry! <3
    You got it all right! And thank you so much for sharing our story :) We are $691 away from our goal as of today! Thanks to wonderful people like you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete