Yesterday I had to run a few errands for my new job and one of them included a TB test and a wellness check up. I made an appointment with my regular doctor and they fit me in at the last minute. I really don't mind needles or blood work so I really didn't have any worries about it. They called me back and start going through routine procedures: height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, then the nurse left and said my doctor would be in soon.
When my doctor came in she asked me how I was doing and what was new. I told her that I just got a new job and that I needed to get a TB test and a paper signed saying that I was healthy enough to work. Then, she started going through the routine questions.
"Any allergies?"
"No."
"Are you taking any different medications?"
"No."
"Any new medical history?"
I was caught off guard and I spit out, "I'm not sure if it's in my file or not but I had a baby in April, but she passed away."
I couldn't believe I just said that. It seemed so harsh and I started choking up.
My doctor was almost in shock. Her face read confused and sympathetic.
She said, "Oh no. I'm so sorry. What happened?"
"She had a cord accident." Oh no, here we go again. Cue waterworks. I was a mess. I started bawling in the middle of my wellness checkup. Why am I such a mess? She probably should just sign my paper and say "emotionally unfit for work" That would probably have been understandable.
She asked if it was at birth and I said, "No, I was 34 weeks along..."
She said, "Oh Jordan. I'm so sorry." Then she proceeded to get up and hand me a box of kleenex and a hug. She's so sweet. She allowed me to break down in the middle of the appt while I was apologizing profusely at how insane I looked. She didn't mind at all. She just told me not to apologize. I told her that I brought all of that up because I had a c section. So, she put in my file that I had a c-section and then stated, "There, it's in there now so we don't have to mention it again."
I dried my tears and thanked her and kicked myself for having a breakdown in public. Before she left the room she turned around and gave me a genuine smile and said, "I'll be praying for you."
I just said, "Thank you."
How many times have you heard of a doctor mentioning God or praying? Not many. But, that small gesture reaffirms that I'm in good hands and that even in my doctor's appointment in the midst of an emotional meltdown, God is still with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment