Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Unexpected bumps

It's been a while since I've posted.  Our little bumblebee is 4 weeks old today!  I can't believe every morning that I get to roll over and see this beautiful face

How lucky am I??  I'm loving every second of motherhood, even those 2 am feedings and changings.  Bring it on!  This little boy has my heart and I love him with every fiber of my being.  He is so utterly amazing.

I last spoke about the things that lead up to him being here.  So many things came together to make him being here early a little easier.  This post will explain a little about the craziness that happened the day I got induced.  I haven't really had a chance to share much about his arrival and there's so much to the story that I'll have to make multiple posts.  

So, starting from the morning of September 26th, I decided to go out and shop at garage sales.   I cannot pass up a good sale, especially with a baby on the way.  I set out in search of more newborn clothes since I decided I didn't have enough for my little one.  I didn't have much luck but the last sale that I stopped at was a success.  I found Evan some onesies and as I was browsing the knick knacks, I found a treasure, a little craft wooden ladybug.  I picked it up and thought about it and actually put it back down.  After a few moments of going back and forth, I decided that the ladybug was worth 25 cents, so I added it to my pile.  I got into my car with my newly acquired treasures and started driving around in search of more sale signs.  Not 10 minutes later, I got a phone call.  I looked at the number and noticed it was my doctor's office.  I was confused since the only time they call me is for a reminder of an appointment.  My next appointment wasn't until the following Wednesday, so it couldn't be that.  I answered the phone and my doctor greeted me.  Uhhh... Now I was really confused.  She has never personally called me.  Usually the automatic messaging calls, or even my nurse, but never my doctor.  I was really lost as to why I was talking to my dr.  She started talking to me about my ultrasound (which was the day before) and wanted to "catch me up" with a few things.  I listened as she started explaining that she had talked to my ultrasound tech who had noticed something during our appointment.  My doctor decided it was worth mentioning to the high risk ob and they all discussed that this abnormality was risky enough that they weren't comfortable leaving him be.  She explained that one of his umbilical veins (veins inside of his tummy that transferred blood from the cord to his body, not the umbilical cord itself) showed to be enlarged.  Apparently this has risk of developing clots, which in turn, can cause fetal death... My heart dropped.  I just sat there and listened as my mind raced and my hand held my tummy.  I felt so betrayed.  I had prayed all throughout this pregnancy and (most of the time) had kept my stress and worry level down.  I had put faith in God that He would see us through this pregnancy and that we would get our healthy baby.  All of this stuff kept going through my mind as I was supposed to be listening to my doctor.  I know my dr could sense my apprehension and reassured me the best she could.   All I could think of was, "Not again. Not again."   I asked her opinion on where we go from here.  She said that her recommendation, along with the high risk O.B. was to have me come in for an amniocentesis to see if Evan's lungs were developed enough for him to be delivered and then I could be induced if we got a positive result (which she anticipated would be the case).  I was so flustered with her news, I asked her to give me a short explanation so I could call Brian and fill him in.  I listened really carefully this time and tried to think of any last minute questions before I hung up.  I surprised myself by thinking level-headed enough to ask, "After he's here, are there any risks?"  She told me that since we don't use our umbilical cords after birth, he would no longer have any issues after he makes his debut.  My heart filled after hearing this.  My baby would be just fine after he is in my arms.  Now, we just have to get him here... Like, NOW.  I hung up with her and sat there in my car for a second.  I prayed and held my tummy while I told myself it WILL be alright.  I dialed Brian's number and tried to tell him as calmly as possible what I had just discussed with my doctor.  He asked a few questions and then when I asked, "What do we do?? I'm not ready!"  He simply replied, "We're going in to get induced"  It was just fact to him.  I had all these emotions and questions and thoughts swirling in my mind and my level-headed husband heard the facts and just accepted it.  I kept telling him that I wasn't ready for this.  I was going to have a baby by the next day!  I couldn't wrap my head around it and yet he was so calm and reassured me that yes, I was ready and we are going in to have a baby.  He also made sure to tell me, "It's going to be okay"  I believed him.  He's faced hell with me.  It HAD to be okay!  We couldn't face anymore tragedy, especially with our precious baby.  He hung up the phone and mentioned to his nearest co-worker that he had to go and wouldn't be back for a while and drove straight home to meet me.  
The next phone call I made was to my mom.  I filled her in the best I could and she insisted on coming over to help us.  She wouldn't take no for an answer and I didn't push it since I think I needed someone to tell me what to do.  She came straight over and finished packing things on our list that we still needed.
I remember being so scared and confused on the way to the hospital.  I was wondering why this was not going so smoothly.  I needed this baby in my arms and I needed everything to go perfect.  It was then that it dawned on me.  Lillian had sent me a ladybug not 10 minutes before getting that phone call.  She knew what was going to happen even before I did.  I was definitely reassured that she was looking out for her baby brother and parents.  I would be lying if I said that I was calm after that.  I was still shaken up and kind of confused at the situation.  I was worried about my baby and I hated that this wasn't going as smoothly as I anticipated.  The most important thing is that he is healthy.  We were a little nervous on the way to the hospital but little did I know what my baby girl had in store.

(This is the good part!)
We drove into the parking garage and parked near the hospital entrance.  We left all of our bags in the car and the car seat was literally thrown in the back seat, not strapped in.  My doctor had scheduled an amniocentesis for 12 pm and had instructed us to arrive at 11.  We were running a few minutes behind but had made record time after receiving such life-altering news.  We were going in as a couple and leaving with an infant!  Can you tell my mind was blown??  So, we walk to the elevators, ride up to the labor and delivery floor, get off the elevator and see the same waiting room that we faced 17 months prior. Only last time, we faced a waiting room full of our devastated family members.  I will never forget that look in their faces.  I walked past those chairs and up to the desk.  There was a nurse at the desk and a receptionist behind, but otherwise, we were the only people there.  I did a double take at the nurse.  Could it be?? Before even looking at her name tag, I exclaimed, "Are you (insert name here)?!?"  Then I looked down and saw that, in fact, it was who I thought it was.  The nurse who was with me all day with Lillian.  She was SUCH a Godsend!  She is the woman who took care of our daughter when it was too much for us to face.  She wrapped her up and introduced her to us so gently and told us how beautiful she was.  I don't remember the names of any of my other nurses last time, but this one, she was an angel!  I will never forget her for as long as I live.  She is amazing.  And there she was!  With tears in my eyes I told her, "You were with us last time!  You were my nurse!"  She smiled at me and asked how long ago was that.  I told her it was about a year and a half ago.  I was almost crying at her, poor lady.  She said, "Are you here for an amnio?"  I told her I was.  She replied, "You're my 12 o'clock!"           GOOSEBUMPS!
Thank you God!! How could I be afraid when my favorite nurse was with me?? Oh my gosh, you guys.  I cannot explain the heaviness that was lifted.  It was going to be okay!  God was working already and my favorite nurse was going to get to meet Lillian's little brother.  

No comments:

Post a Comment